Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I'd like to see this Legion Lost in the Great Darkness

Although Tate's and my tastes may differ in quite a few areas, there's one where we both agree: Long Live the Legion!


So it was with great joy that we awaited the JLU episode featuring our favorite 31st Century heroes, and despite a few "wish they had done X differently" moments, we were not disapointed, which gave us high hopes for the announced, on-going Legion cartoon. And then came the announced line-up which made us scratch our heads a bit, but still, nothing to get too worked up about. And then we saw the character designs . . .


Why doe the WB hate us so?

Now, to mitigate the raging negativity just a bit, I honestly don't think that the Superboy or Lightning Lad designs are that bad, and Timber Wolf, Saturn Girl and Phantom Girl look passable as long as you don't look at the malformed things serving as their heads *shudder* I mean, maybe it's just me, but I can't look at Timber Wolf without thinking that he's the bastard off-spring of a wookie and Jay Sherman's mom on The Critic. And then there's Brainiac 5 . . . words fail me. Tate?


Words aren't failing me, but words I can say in a family blog are. The heads and faces make the character concepts not just different from what we're used to but are also UGLY. The whole shebang is starting to smell like Titans Go! and I don't mean that in a nice way. The only difference is that while the Titans looked different than their comic book counterparts they didn't look like they should be ringing bells in France.

If this is what they're doing with the character concepts, I'm back to being leery of the subject matter and overall treatment as well. I thought Titans was okay for what it was, but it was apparently meant to amuse autistic children who take their ritilin by the handful and haven't yet realized that anime isn't cool anymore (and also my friend Jeff, but the only difference between him and the target audience is the ritilin). If that's the road the Legion is heading down, then I'm just going to go ahead and despair at Warner Bros. animation in a post-JLU world. I realize that I'm nearly thirty and I'm complaining about a cartoon and if the WB doesn't want to make shows for me anymore, that's fine. They just shouldn't be surprised when we stop caring and it takes another revolution the likes of Batman the Animated Series to get our attention again.


And did I mention that I'm going to have nightmares about Phantom Girl's face? I didn't? Well, now I did. Look, just because the girl's named for a ghost, doesn't mean she has to look like something that would give Takashi Miike sleeples nights, okay? And we won't even go into Bouncing Boy's haircut
Shameful; just shameful.

No comments: